PDA

View Full Version : 2002 250 Shootout Mag?

Mydog
12-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Does anybody have an old Dirt Rider or MX Action magazine that featured the 2002 250 Shootout? If so, I'll buy it or just borrow it...

I'm looking into gettin an 02' and want to see what they had to say.

Also, If anybody is looking for a 99CR250 w/ tons of aftermarket parts, check my add in the classifieds.

Thanks...

james
12-04-2002, 03:06 PM
CRF450;)

Mydog
12-04-2002, 03:37 PM
LOL James

New Baby = Less Cash on Hand = No 450 for Mydog....YET!

james
12-04-2002, 03:39 PM
A friend of mine just picked up an 03 CR250 - then crashed it on his first ride..lol...

I had an 02 YZ250 but did not like it - nice motor but gave me really bad arm pump..

scoleman
12-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey J, I probably have a couple laying around, I'll check tonight and give you a call. But it is gonna cost ya!!!! I'll just throw a figure out to ya.........$5300.......how's that sound???

Mydog
12-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Cool man..that would be great to get my paws on one.

Was that $0.53 :D

Let me know what you find.

Thx

mxjeff95
12-04-2002, 05:27 PM
The yamaha won in almost all of the magazines....great bike.

cr10vetamt
12-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Hey Dog,
Let me know if you can't find the mag. I'm 99% sure I have because I did the same thing when I started looking! Needless to say I got a 2002 Honda in April that you are more than welcome to ride. Should be @ Thrasherland on Thur and Speedworld over the weekend. What ever choice you make you can't go wrong unless you ride close to or at a Pro Level........

Hope this helps.........

Dennis :)

KawiRacing224
12-04-2002, 06:43 PM
Yamaha wins mostly because they donate a truck load of money to dirt rider. Check out other zines to see which bike is best. But most will show the same. Their pretty much even. in some magazines they have one thing, and in others they have something different. The only way to find out is get your hands on each kind and try them out. Just my $0.02

Later,
Mike

MXracer169
12-04-2002, 09:10 PM
I have a 2003 CRF450, that bike rips! Four strokes are just the way to go.

Mydog
12-05-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the offer Dennis (cr10vetam)!

I wanted to see what they had to say about the KX because my cousin who races pro in Colorado will sell me his 02 practice bike for whatever I can get for my CR. The KX has very low hours (he just changed the 1st top end) and has rarely seen the ground. It is in primo condition w/ lots of nice parts.

I don't think I will be taking a step back in swaping out my 99 for an 02 of any make.

RedRider
12-05-2002, 10:43 AM
MXA and Dirt bike websites have back issues you can get.
I looked at the 02 test reports and they loved the Yamaha the best becasue of the motor. They didn't like the honda for tall riders, but said the suspension was the best. Suzuki was next then Kawi and KTM. They love the KTM motor, but the suspension is so bad, according to them, that the motor can't make up for the suspension. The kawi moto was not very good and the suspension was outdated i think they said. They also said that RC was winning on the KX so it can't be all that bad.
The 02 honda needs lots of things done to it to make it reasonable to own. Thats why i got the 03. The 03 is great, but the magazines dodn't like the motor. They said the 03 motor was better than the 02, but the other bikes were better? the 03 honda was almost last in thier shoot out and they like the kx and RM better. First time in a long time that happened.
The 02 honda needs the air box fix, new reeds right away, the exhaust has some plastic part at the cylinder head that breaks really easy also.
I think you could make almost any work if you spent enough time and energy working on the bikes. I rode several Yamaha's and didn't like the feel of the bike and the motors had this weird thing where the didn't free spin like i think a two stroke should. Almost felt like a four stroke? I rode a 1997 and 2000 YZ250 and a 1999 YZ125 adn they all did the same thing. I have ridden 1998, 2000, 2003 CR250's and 2003 CR450 and the honda's feel better.
I do my own mechanic work and I like the way honda does things in general so that influences me.
whey that go long... anyway good luck finding a new bike.

cr10vetamt
12-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Red Rider,
Have to agree with you on the air box fix but is'nt that big of deal!
"Reeds right away" gee I must have gotten real lucky still running stock reeds since April and normally ride twice a week! The Plastic piece at the cyl head? Are you referring to the exhaust flange? Again still on the original one. Trust me there is not that big of difference between the 02 and the 03.........If you truly notice the difference you are alot faster than myself.................

Dennis :cool:

12-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Hey Red Rider, are you riding yet or are you still injured? We're going to MotoGrande Saturday morning if you guys are up for it.

steve
12-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Referring to the guy who rode the 98,99 yz 250 and 2000 yz 125. They made huge changes in 2002. I have had the 2002 and now have the 2003 Yamaha YZ 250 and love it. I am over 6 feet tall and had to put a top clamp on it also I lowered the footpegs 5/8 of an inch and now have all the room I need. The motor is super fast and the suspension is tons better on the 03 than the 02. If any of you guys out there have 2002 yz 125 or 250 and want a new Ohlins shock cheap. New it was $900.00 I will let it go for $700.00 let me know. 520-820-0223

RedRider
12-06-2002, 03:50 PM
I get out of the brace next monday. It will take a few weeks to get the strength back to ride. The bike is shinny clean and dying to run with the new FMF pipe.
Your neighbor in your complex wants to go, but we took his forks apart last night to do the seals and found rock dings in the slider. gonna try and fix tonight, but don't think he will be ready.

I haven't ridden a newer yamaha yet and i am sure that they are good or the shoot outs won't like them, I hope to get to ride an 03 YZ250F soon, when i get better, and see how that runs. I have sat on the new YZ's and still like the feel of the honda better. I also like the maintanence on the Honda power valve better than the Yamaha. I think Honda's mechanical design of the 4 stoke is better, but i am a nerde engineer that cares about those things so my opion is biased.
I like the Showa forks better from a maintanence stand point although I am not good enough to tell if one fork is better than the other when ridding, i have cased it on both types and I think the Showa was better... not a good thing to compare though.
Anyway...

All the bikes are good, i have friend with a 2000 KX who can kick my hinny and most would say a 2000 KX is the worst one ever built.

RedRider
12-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by cr10vetamt
Red Rider,
Have to agree with you on the air box fix but is'nt that big of deal!
"Reeds right away" gee I must have gotten real lucky still running stock reeds since April and normally ride twice a week! The Plastic piece at the cyl head? Are you referring to the exhaust flange? Again still on the original one. Trust me there is not that big of difference between the 02 and the 03.........If you truly notice the difference you are alot faster than myself.................

Dennis :cool:

I am glad to hear things are holding together. I didn't know anyone who had one and I just went with what the mag's were saying at the time. Yes they (the mag's) were talking about the exhaust flange, glad to know your still going strong. Maybe 02 Honda's are doing better than the mags think? I doubt I could have noticed the difference, but when the 02 and 03 are sitting on the show room floor side by side and they are the same price i went with the 03.
The mag's liked the 02 better than the 03 in the shoot outs for their resective years so someone might say i made a bad choice? I have noticed that with a little clutch action I can get mine to come to life pretty well. I adjusted the power vavle cable and that helped a lot on the top end. I just got an FMF fatty pipe, but haven't run it yet, so i am hoping that will add a little bottom end?

I still like the Honda engineering better than the others and I have worked on all of them except KTM.

12-06-2002, 04:20 PM
Man that guys tough on that bike lol. I thought he might like to go since all you guys are banged up. Did it turn out your thumb was busted?

RedRider
12-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Thumb wasn't broke, but the doc put it in a splint for 2 weeks. I get out tomorrow and with some physical therapy i hope to be riding in a few weeks.
I am pretty sure the mags are reallt hard on bikes, and some people think they are full of crap. The latest MXA says the stock plug for the 03CR250 is BR9EGV and my manual says BR8EG. Not sure about the mags? They do have some good recommendations that i have looked into and found good.
When are you riding next CRon?

12-09-2002, 07:27 AM
We rode MotoGrande Sat. Miscalculated the big table and came up just short, which really jacked my left wrist. Had to sit and watch the whole day.:( Hopefully its just sprained, planned on racing ET this weekend.
BTW MotoG has really intensified there jumps, much tougher than a few months ago. Still a good track for beginner/ novice riders but also a big air track for the more advanced riders. Track prep was awesome with the jump faces razor sharp.

RedRider
12-09-2002, 09:43 AM
When did you go home Sat. I was out there with my kid on the 80, and some other friends. It's no fun watching. Your business neighbor was there also. We go there around 2 or 3. Were you the 3 honda's one of the 277?
The track looked great and there was huge air in some places.
I am dieing to ride again.

12-09-2002, 12:00 PM
We were there from 8 till about 1. Got to bring home a bunch of mud on my bike.

Mydog
12-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Be carefull with your wrist! Same thing happened to me at MotoG. I thought I just sprained it when I had a Panic Rev Lander, but when I had an X-Ray for a busted hand months later they noticed I had previously busted my wrist! I told them I never broke my wrist before but the X-Ray proved me wrong.

Funny thing is, when I asked them what they would have done for my wrist they said put it in a wrist brace. That's what I did and it only cost $20 at Walgreens... :D

RedRider
12-09-2002, 02:06 PM
you know we have been doing this a while when we already know what the doctors will say.
Maybe we should invest in our own x-ray machine? hahahahahaha

12-09-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah I avoid Doctors like the plague. Being self-employed and having a non-group med insurance plan its best not to have motocross related injuries. Of course there's times you have no choice.

propracticerider
12-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Hey Dog,

I have a friend selling a CR250 02. Hey broke his leg on it. It is an awsome bike with lots of trick parts, and he bought it brand new in May. It looks brand new. Let me know if you want his number

Mark

ridered
12-23-2002, 07:14 AM
I decided to keep my CR, but thanks anyway crf45094 guy......